Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
broody (plural broodies)
- (Poultry) A female bird which is in the condition to incubate eggs; a broody hen, duck, etc.
- There are six broodies in that coop.
female bird in the condition to incubate eggs
- (Of birds) sitting persistently and protectively on a nest, in order to hatch eggs (eg, 'a broody hen').
- (Of any creature or person) acting interested in raising young.
- (sitting on a nest to hatch eggs): clucky
- (interested in raising young): baby rabies, one's biological clock is ticking