Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (intransitive) To decelerate.
- When approaching a bend in the road, slow down, and speed up after leaving it.
- (transitive) To reduce the velocity, speed, or tempo of something.
- 2013 June 1, “Ideas coming down the track”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8838, page 13 (Technology Quarterly):
- A “moving platform” scheme […] is more technologically ambitious than maglev trains even though it relies on conventional rails. […] This set-up solves several problems […]. Stopping high-speed trains wastes energy and time, so why not simply slow them down enough for a moving platform to pull alongside?
- With a comfortable lead, the football team slowed down the tempo of the game.
to reduce speed