Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌkɑnəˈteɪʃən/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌkɒnəˈteɪʃən/
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- Hyphenation: con‧no‧ta‧tion
connotation (plural connotations)
- (semantics) A meaning of a word or phrase that is suggested or implied, as opposed to a denotation, or literal meaning. A characteristic of words or phrases, or of the contexts that words and phrases are used in.
- (logic) The attribute or aggregate of attributes connoted by a term, contrasted with denotation.
- The two expressions "the morning star" and "the evening star" have different connotations but the same denotation (i.e. the planet Venus).
suggested or implied meaning