Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic, intransitive) To accelerate; to increase speed.
- The car sped up as it went around the corner.
- (transitive) To increase the speed of something; to make something go faster.
- You shouldn't speed up your car when you go around corners.
- 1964 September, “Motive Power Miscellany: BR Workshops”, in Modern Railways, page 220:
- Work on anti-frost precautions on diesel locomotives is to be speeded up to ensure that most if not all locomotives have been dealt with before the winter sets in.
increase speed (intransitive) — See also translations at accelerate
increase speed (transitive) — See also translations at accelerate
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.