This is generally believed to be an acronym, variously considered to stand for "Snot-Nosed, Egotistical, Rude Teenager", "Snot-Nosed Eros-Ridden Teenager", "Sexually Nerdish Egotistically Rude Troll", or similar.
Audio (AU) (file)
snert (plural snerts)
- (Internet slang) A participant in online discussions who is generally obnoxious and insulting.
- 1995, Tom Lichty, AOL for Windows 95 Membership Kit and Tour Guide, →ISBN:
- A small army of AOL technicians vigilantly patrols for snerts (read the "The Control Room" sidebar in this chapter), but the battle is often an impasse.
- 2008, Celia Romm Livermore, Social Networking Communities and E-Dating Services, →ISBN:
- While members like Stinkybolthole frequently posted flames, the online community studied had one very noticeable snert, who went by the name of JH, whom from a sample of ten of his posts, posted six flames, meaning 60% of his posts were flames.
- 2009, Subhasish Dasgupta, Social Computing, →ISBN:
- Campbell et al. (2002) also point out that the posts of these snerts, which they call sorcerers and trolls, which they call tricksters, could possibly look similar.
snert m (uncountable)
- (pea soup): erwtensoep
- Afrikaans: snert