Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: standalone
stand-alone (not comparable)
- Operating, functioning, or existing without additions or assistance; independent; able to be separate or separated.
- They offer an inexpensive add-on for a computer, or a stand-alone system with all the functions built in.
operating without additions or assistance
stand-alone (plural stand-alones)
- (rare) A device that can operate on its own, rather than as an accessory for another device.
- 1985, Carole Boggs Matthews, Martin S. Matthews, Word Processing for the IBM PC and PCjr and Compatible Computers:
- Standalone systems, also known as dedicated systems, are often thought to provide word processing cervices alone. In truth, some standalones — but not all of them — can be used for other functions as well.
Also, some standalones can only be used for word processing; if you need other computer functions, you can't have them.
- (by extension) Something that is not a part of some series or sequence.