Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈstʌtɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈstʌtə/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- Rhymes: -ʌtə(ɹ)
- (transitive, intransitive) To speak (words) with a spasmodic repetition of vocal sounds.
- (intransitive) To expel a gas with difficulty.
- I was stuttering after the marathon.
- The engine of the old car stuttered going up the slope.
to speak with spasmodic repetition — see stammer
stutter (plural stutters)
- A speech disorder characterised by stuttering.
- Synonym: stammer
- (obsolete) One who stutters.
Terms derived from the noun or verb stutter