- (transitive, intransitive) To speak with a spasmodic repetition of vocal sounds.
- He stuttered a few words of thanks.
- (intransitive) To exhaust a gas with difficulty
- The engine of the old car stuttered going up the slope. I was stuttering after the marathon.
- (speak with spasmodic repetition): stammer
to speak with spasmodic repetition — see stammer
stutter (plural stutters)
- A speech disorder characterised by stuttering.
- (obsolete) One who stutters; a stammerer.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Francis Bacon to this entry?)