Jump to navigation Jump to search
swallowtail (plural swallowtails)
- The forked tail of a swallow.
- Anything, such as a burgee, of a similar forked shape.
- A type of tailcoat with two long tapering tails.Wp
- 1906, Stanley J[ohn] Weyman, chapter I, in Chippinge Borough, New York, N.Y.: McClure, Phillips & Co., OCLC 580270828, page 01:
- It was April 22, 1831, and a young man was walking down Whitehall in the direction of Parliament Street. He wore shepherd's plaid trousers and the swallow-tail coat of the day, with a figured muslin cravat wound about his wide-spread collar.
- Any of various butterflies of the family Papilionidae, having a forked extension to the hind wing.
tail of a swallow