Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: tonguetied
Audio (US) (file)
- (idiomatic) Unable to express oneself clearly or fluently; at a loss for words.
- If you have never practiced at interviewing for a job, you are likely to have a few tongue-tied moments during your first interview.
- 1692, Roger L’Estrange, “[The Life of Æsop.] Of Æsop’s Countrey, Condition, and Person”, in Fables, of Æsop and Other Eminent Mythologists, London: Printed for R[ichard] Sare [et al.], OCLC 228727523, page 1:
- And he [Aesop] was not only Unhappy in the moſt ſcandalous Figure of a Man that ever was heard of; but he was in a manner Tongue-Ty'd too, by ſuch an Impediment in his ſpeech, that People could very hardly underſtand what he ſaid.
- Suffering from tongue-tie or ankyloglossia.
unable to express oneself clearly or fluently