tournure (plural tournures)
- Turn; contour; figure.
- Any device used by women to expand the skirt of a dress below the waist; a bustle.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for tournure in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
tournure f (plural tournures)
- (informal) appearance, shape
- (figuratively) turn, change in circumstance or temperament
- (linguistics) phrasing, turn of phrase
- (historical) tournure, bustle
- (dated) peel (of a fruit)