Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (UK) (file)
uplifting (comparative more uplifting, superlative most uplifting)
- Improving the mood; causing cheerfulness.
- Listening to whalesong can be very uplifting.
improving the mood
uplifting (plural upliftings)
- The act of something being lifted upward.
- 1851, Herman Melville, “Chapter 35, The Mast-Head”, in Moby-Dick; or, The Whale (fiction), page 86:
- Whereby, with prodigious long upliftings of their legs, those old astronomers were wont to mount to the apex.
- 1847, The American Journal of Science and Arts, →ISSN, page 91:
- The borders of large subsiding areas sooner or later experiencing deep fissurings and extensive upliftings through the tension or horizontal force of the subsiding crust […]