Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌʌpˈstɛɹz/, /ˈʌpˌstɛɹz/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌʌpˈstɛəz/, /ˈʌpˌstɛəz/
- Hyphenation: up‧stairs
Audio (US) (file)
- Located on a higher floor or level of a building.
- They can sleep in the upstairs bedroom.
- (baseball, informal) Pertaining to a pitched ball that is high, and usually outside the strike zone.
- That fastball was upstairs for a ball.
located on a higher floor of a building
- Up the stairs; on a higher floor or level.
- I'll take my shoes and put them away the next time I go upstairs.
- I hate the people who live upstairs, and I especially hate their piano.
- (informal) In the brain or mind.
- After Joe did a hula dance on the kitchen table, his friends wondered if he didn't have a lot going on upstairs.
- (informal) In heaven, especially with regard to where a deity might be found.
up the stairs; on a higher floor or level
upstairs (plural upstairs)
- An upper storey.