Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- located higher up a building.
- They can sleep in the upstairs bedroom.
- 1891, Thomas Hardy, Tess of the d’Urbervilles , chapter IV
- In a large bedroom upstairs, the window of which was thickly curtained with a great woollen shawl lately discarded by the landlady, Mrs Rolliver, were gathered on this evening nearly a dozen persons, all seeking beatitude; all old inhabitants of the nearer end of Marlott, and frequenters of this retreat.
- (baseball) a pitched ball that is high, and usually outside the strike zone
- That fastball was upstairs for a ball.
- Up the stairs; on a higher floor or level.
- I'll take my shoes and put them away the next time I go upstairs.
- I hate the people who live upstairs, and I especially hate their piano.
- (colloquial) In the brain.
- After Joe did a hula dance on the kitchen table, his friends wondered if he didn't have a lot going on upstairs.
- (colloquial) In heaven, or any other place where a deity might be found.
up the stairs; on a higher floor or level