Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈjuːv.jʊ.lə/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈjuːv.jə.lə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Homophone: uvular (in non-rhotic accents)
- (anatomy) The fleshy appendage that hangs from the back of the palate, that closes the nasopharynx during swallowing.
- (anatomy) The slight elevation in the mucous membrane immediately behind the internal urethral orifice of the urinary bladder, caused by the middle lobe of the prostate.
- (music) An object so suspended inside a bell that it may hit the bell and cause it to ring; a clapper.
- The Oxford English Dictionary (second edition, 1989) marks this word as not naturalized in English.
appendage that hangs from the palate
uvula f (plural uvulas)