Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A blue-green patina or rust that forms on copper-containing metals.
- (chemistry, dated) Copper acetate.
- The colour of this patina or material.
- verdigris colour:
- 1735, [John Barrow], “GREENS”, in Dictionarium Polygraphicum: Or, The Whole Body of Arts Regularly Digested. [...], volume I, London: Printed for C[harles] Hitch and C[harles] Davis in Pater-noster Row, and S[amuel] Austen in St. Paul's Church-Yard, OCLC 987025732:
- Gamboge is one of the firſt yellows, which may be made to produce five or six ſorts of Green with verdegreaſe, according as the gambooge is in the greater or leſſer proportion; if it abounds, it will make a tolerable oak green, and being mixt with a greater quantity of verdegreaſe, it will make a fine graſs Green.
blue-green patina on copper and copper alloys
- To cover, or coat, with verdigris.
- An old verdigrised brass bugle. — Hawthorne.