Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- dedicated or given in fulfillment of a vow or pledge
- She placed a votive offering at the shrine.
- embellishments of flowers and votive garlands
- We reached a votive stone, that bears the name / Of Aloys Reding.
- (Can we clean up(+) this sense?) Of, expressing or symbolizing a vow. Often used to describe thick cylindrical candles found in many churches, lit when making a private vow or asking a private intention.
- The church was lit by votive candles.
dedicated or given in fulfillment of a vow or pledge
votive (plural votives)