Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈvəʊ.tɪv/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈvoʊ.tɪv/
- Rhymes: (Received Pronunciation) -əʊtɪv, (General American) -oʊtɪv
- Dedicated or given in fulfillment of a vow or pledge.
- She placed a votive offering at the shrine.
- 1822, William Wordsworth, Memorial, near the Outlet of the Lake of Thun:
- We reached a votive stone, that bears the name / Of Aloys Reding.
- (Can we clean up(+) this sense?) Of, expressing, or symbolizing a vow. Often used to describe thick cylindrical candles found in many churches, lit when making a private vow or asking a private intention.
- The church was lit by votive candles.
dedicated or given in fulfillment of a vow or pledge
of, expressing or symbolizing a vow
votive (plural votives)
- (Classical) IPA(key): /u̯oːˈtiː.u̯e/, [u̯oːˈt̪iːu̯ɛ]
- (modern Italianate Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /voˈti.ve/, [voˈt̪iːve]