Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈwɑːt͡ʃ.ˌdɑːɡ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈwɒt͡ʃ.ˌdɒɡ/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
watchdog (plural watchdogs)
- a guard dog
- An individual or group that monitors the activities of another entity (such as an individual, corporation, non-profit group, or governmental organization) on behalf of the public to ensure that entity does not behave illegally or unethically.
- 2020 May 20, “Network News: Watchdogs say clear guidance needed to reassure passengers”, in Rail, page 9:
- Governments must "outline how they will reassure passengers that it will be as safe as possible to travel by public transport", according to industry watchdogs Transport Focus and London TravelWatch.
dog — see guard dog
- To perform a function analogous to that of a watchdog; to guard and warn.
- (electronics) To be continuously reset by a watchdog timer.