Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) awake and very alert; vigilant, watchful
- 1951, C. S. Lewis, Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia:
- "They are almost awake, not quite," said Lucy. She knew she herself was wide awake, wider than anyone usually is.
- 1978, Richard Nixon, “The Presidency 1973-1974”, in RN: the Memoirs of Richard Nixon, Grosset & Dunlap, →ISBN, →LCCN, →OCLC, →OL, page 1085:
- I woke with a start. With the blackout curtains closed I didn't know what time it was. I looked at my watch. It said four o'clock. I had been asleep for only two hours, but I was wide awake.
awake and very alert