Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -aɪdən
- (intransitive) To become wide or wider.
- His eyes widened as her negligee fell to the floor.
- (transitive) To make wide or wider.
2011 September 29, Tom Rostance, “Stoke 2 - 1 Besiktas”, in BBC Sport:
- But he still saw his side produce a rousing display which owed much to their lauded prowess from set-pieces, despite Uefa regulations meaning the pitch had to be widened and, in the process, the run-up area for Delap's long throws reduced.
- (transitive) To let out clothes to a larger size.
- She widened his trousers for him.
- (transitive) To broaden or extend in scope or range.
- The police widened their enquiries.
to become wider
to make wider
to let out clothes
to broaden or extend