Appendix:List of shibboleths
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
This appendix lists shibboleths: words and phrases whose pronunciations are used to identify a language or dialect.
Southern USA accent
- schild en vriend (shield and friend)
- Used during the Battle of the Golden Spurs to identify Frenchmen in Bruges.
- שִׁבֹּלֶת (sh'bolet) (ear of grain).
Southern Brazilian accent
- leite quente que dói nos dente (hot milk that hurts the teeth)
- доро́га (doróga) (Used to check German spies during World War II, German soldiers had difficulty pronouncing Russian /r/ and voiced consonants.) (Vasily Zaytsev, Behind the Volga there was no land for us. Sniper's Notes, First published in 1981.)
- perejil (parsley)