Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: sphinx
- (genus): Lepidoptera - order, Glossata - suborder, Heteroneura - infraorder, Ditrysia - division, Cossina - section, Bombycina - subsection, Bombycoidea - superfamily, Sphingidae - family, Sphinginae - subfamily
- (usually with "the") An ancient, large statue in Egypt, with the face of a man and the body of a lion, lying near the Great Pyramids.
- (Greek mythology) One of the many offspring of Typhon and Echidna, a winged lion-like creature with a woman's face, who commited suicide out of frustration after Oedipus managed to solve her riddles.
large monument in Egypt
Greek mythological creature
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- Alemannic German: Sphinx
- Latin: Sphinx m, Sphingis
- Luxembourgish: Sphinx
Sphinx f (plural: Sphinges)