Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
From Old English onġemang.
- Denotes a mingling or intermixing with distinct or separable objects. (See Usage Note at amidst)
- How can you speak with authority about their customs when you have never lived among them?
- Denotes a belonging of a person or a thing to a group.
- He is among the few who completely understand the subject.
- Denotes a sharing of a common feature in a group.
- Lactose intolerance is common among people of Asian heritage.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version), Luke 1:1
- Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us […]
Usage notes 
- For the comparison of among with between, see the usage notes in between.
mingling or intermixing