Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: cône
cone (plural cones)
- (geometry) A surface of revolution formed by rotating a segment of a line around another line that intersects the first line.
- (geometry) A solid of revolution formed by rotating a triangle around one of its altitudes.
- (topology) A space formed by taking the direct product of a given space with a closed interval and identifying all of one end to a point.
- Anything shaped like a cone.
- The fruit of a conifer.
- An ice cream cone.
- A unit of volume, applied solely to marijuana and only while it is in a smokable state; roughly 1.5 cubic centimetres, depending on use.
- Any of the small cone-shaped structures in the retina.
- (slang) The bowl piece on a bong.
- (slang) The process of smoking cannabis in a bong.
- (slang) A cone-shaped cannabis joint.
- (slang) A passenger on a cruise ship (so-called by employees after traffic cones, from the need to navigate around them)
- (category theory) Given a diagram F : J → C, a cone consists of an object N of C, together with a family of morphisms ψX : N → F(X) indexed by all of the objects of J, such that for every morphism f : X → Y in J, . Then N is the vertex of the cone, whose sides are all the ψX indexed by Ob(J) and whose base is F. The cone is said to be "from N to F" and can be denoted as (N, ψ).
- «Let J be an index category which has an initial object I. Let F be a diagram of type J in C. Then category C contains a cone from F(I) to F.»
- «If category C has a cone from N to F and a morphism from M to N, then category C also has a cone from M to F.»
- A shell of the genus Conus, having a conical form.
- A set of formal languages with certain desirable closure properties, in particular those of the regular languages, the context-free languages and the recursively enumerable languages.
surface of revolution
solid of revolution
anything shaped like a cone
ice-cream cone — see ice cream cone
fruit of conifers
photosensitive cell in retina
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
terms derived from cone
- (pottery) To fashion into the shape of a cone.
- The Illustrated Oxford Dictionary, Oxford University Press, 1998
cone m (plural cones)
- cone (conical shape)