Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also gäsp
gasp (plural gasps)
- A short, sudden intake of breath.
- The audience gave a gasp of astonishment
- (UK, slang): A draw or drag on a cigarette (or gasper).
- I'm popping out for a gasp.
A short, sudden intake of breath
A draw or drag on a cigarette (or gasper)
- (intransitive): To draw in the breath suddenly, as if from a shock.
- The audience gasped as the magician disappeared
- (intransitive): To breathe laboriously or convulsively.
- We were all gasping when we reached the summit
- (transitive): To speak in a breathless manner
- The old man gasped his last few words
to draw in the breath suddenly
to breathe laboriously or convulsively
- (humorous) The sound of a gasp.
- Gasp! What will happen next?