Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: lacé
- (uncountable) A light fabric containing patterns of holes, usually built up from a single thread.
- Francis Bacon
- Our English dames are much given to the wearing of costly laces.
- 1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 2, The Mirror and the Lamp:
- She was a fat, round little woman, richly apparelled in velvet and lace, […]; and the way she laughed, cackling like a hen, the way she talked to the waiters and the maid, […]—all these unexpected phenomena impelled one to hysterical mirth, and made one class her with such immortally ludicrous types as Ally Sloper, the Widow Twankey, or Miss Moucher.
- Francis Bacon
- (countable) A cord or ribbon passed through eyelets in a shoe or garment, pulled tight and tied to fasten the shoe or garment firmly.
- A snare or gin, especially one made of interwoven cords; a net.
- Vulcanus had caught thee [Venus] in his lace.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Fairfax to this entry?)
- (slang, obsolete) Spirits added to coffee or another beverage.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Addison to this entry?)
cord for fastening a shoe or garment
- (transitive) To fasten (something) with laces.
- When Jenny's stays are newly laced.
- (transitive) To add alcohol, poison, a drug or anything else potentially harmful to (food or drink).
- (transitive) To interweave items. (lacing one's fingers together)
- (transitive) To interweave the spokes of a bicycle wheel.
- To beat; to lash; to make stripes on.
- I'll lace your coat for ye.
- To adorn with narrow strips or braids of some decorative material.
- cloth laced with silver
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
fasten with laces
add something harmful to
- first-person singular present indicative of lacer
- third-person singular present indicative of lacer
- first-person singular present subjunctive of lacer
- third-person singular present subjunctive of lacer
- second-person singular imperative of lacer
- second-person singular present active imperative of laciō
- first-person singular present subjunctive of laçar
- third-person singular present subjunctive of laçar
- first-person singular imperative of laçar
- third-person singular imperative of laçar
lace (infinitive lazar)