Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Maid
maid (plural maids)
- (dated or poetic) A girl or an unmarried young woman; maiden.
- A female servant or cleaner (short for maidservant).
1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 2, The Mirror and the Lamp:
- She was a fat, round little woman, richly apparelled in velvet and lace, […]; and the way she laughed, cackling like a hen, the way she talked to the waiters and the maid, […]—all these unexpected phenomena impelled one to hysterical mirth, and made one class her with such immortally ludicrous types as Ally Sloper, the Widow Twankey, or Miss Moucher.
- (archaic) A virgin of either gender.
- (young female person): damsel, maiden
- (female servant): handmaiden, lady-in-waiting, maidservant
- (female cleaner): chambermaid (in a hotel), charlady (in a house), charwoman (in a house)
female servant or cleaner