Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- By itself; without consideration of extraneous factors.
- The law makes drunk driving illegal per se.
- (chiefly in negative polarity environments) As such; as one would expect from the name.
- Well, that's not correct per se, but the situation is something like that.
- (law) As a matter of law.
- Because this is originally a Latin phrase, it is sometimes italicized when it is written.
- For usage examples of this term, see the citations page.
- (obsolete since spelling reform of 1995) persé
The ‘necessity’ meaning is the usual one; the original Latin meaning as in English is rarely used and can be misunderstood.
- per se
- by itself
- through itself