Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- I lay hold of, seize, grasp, grab, snatch, take, catch.
- I detain someone in order to speak with him, accost, lay or catch hold of.
- I take by surprise, catch in the act.
- (of trees) I take root.
- (poetic) I reach, arrive at, attain.
- (poetic) I take in, reach or embrace with the eye.
- (figuratively, rare, of the mind) I seize, apprehend, comprehend, grasp.
Used in the following constructions: (3) uses the ablative, the genitive or in with the ablative.
Conjugation of prehendo (third conjugation)
- prehendo in Charlton T. Lewis & Charles Short, A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1879