Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
- smilie very rare
- (rare) A simplified representation of a smiling face.
- (Internet) A sequence of keyboard characters used to represent a person's mood or emotion, especially :) or :-) or other smiling depiction.
- (slang) Having one's throat slit from side to side.
- (rare) An improvised street weapon consisting of a length of chain with padlocks and other heavy objects affixed to one end.
representation of a smiling face
emoticon — see emoticon
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
See also 
From English smiley. 
- IPA: /smajli/, [ˈsmɑjli]
Inflection of smiley
- (emoticon): emotikon