Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (uncountable) A widely diffused vegetable substance found especially in seeds, bulbs, and tubers, and extracted (as from potatoes, corn, rice, etc.) as a white, glistening, granular or powdery substance, without taste or smell, and giving a very peculiar creaking sound when rubbed between the fingers. It is used as a food, in the production of commercial grape sugar, for stiffening linen in laundries, in making paste, etc.
- (nutrition, countable) Carbohydrates, as with grain and potato based foods.
- (uncountable, figuratively) A stiff, formal manner; formality.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Addison to this entry?)
- (countable) Any of various starch-like substances used as a laundry stiffener
- To apply or treat with laundry starch, to create a hard, smooth surface.
- She starched her blouses.
apply laundry starch
starch (not comparable)