Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive) To make strong or stronger; to add strength to; to increase the strength of; to fortify; to reinforce.
- to strengthen a limb, a bridge, an army
- to strengthen an obligation
- to strengthen authority.
- 1851, Anonymous, Arthur Hamilton, and His Dog
- A little hardship, and a little struggling with the rougher elements of life, will perchance but strengthen and increase his courage, and prepare him for the conflicts and struggles of after years.
- (transitive) To animate; to give moral strength to; to encourage; to fix in resolution; to hearten.
- (transitive) To augment; to improve; to intensify.
- (intransitive) To grow strong or stronger.
to make strong or stronger
to grow strong or stronger