Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
upset; turn over; to tip; to pour; to go home; to the contrary; inverted; to fall; to collapse; to topple; to change; to fail; bankrupt
|simp. and trad.
- (literaty) to turn the weapon backwards, or upside-down
- (figuratively) to change sides in a conflict; to defect
- 前徒倒戈，攻於後以北，血流漂杵。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- 前徒倒戈，攻于后以北，血流漂杵。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- From: The Book of Documents, circa 7th – 4th centuries BCE
- Qiántúdǎogē, gōngyúhòuyǐběi, xuèliúpiàochǔ. [Pinyin]
- The soldiers in the front turned backwards and attacked the ones at the back. The troop retreated with the blood deep enough to float a pestle.