Jump to navigation Jump to search
rich country; to make one's country rich powerful army; to increase the military force; to build up military power trad. (富國強兵) 富國 強兵 simp. (富国强兵) 富国 强兵
- to make the country rich and the military powerful
- 故治國者，其摶力也，以富國強兵也；其殺力也，以事敵勸農也。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Book of Lord Shang, circa 3rd century BCE, translated based on J.J.L. Duyvendak's version
- Gù zhìguó zhě, qí tuánlì yě, yǐ fùguóqiángbīng yě; qí shālì yě, yǐ shì dí quàn nóng yě. [Pinyin]
- Therefore, for one who administers a country, the way to consolidate its strength, is to make the country rich and its soldiers strong; the way to reduce the people's force is to attack the enemy and to encourage the people.
故治国者，其抟力也，以富国强兵也；其杀力也，以事敌劝农也。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]