Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Kanji in this term|
- (Shinto) a traditional Japanese paper doll used in certain purification rituals
- Synonym: 人形 (hitogata)
- a doll or other substitute for a person, used as the target for a prayer or curse
- a substitute or stand-in for a person
- 紙人形 (kami ningyō): paper doll (as a toy rather than a ritual object)
- 流し雛 (nagashibina): the practice of making dolls out of paper or straw, and sending them on a boat down a river or out to sea, carrying away one's impurities and sins with them.