From Middle English Claytone, Cleyton, from Old English clǣġ (“clay”) + Old English tūn (“enclosure, settlement; town”).
- Any of several placenames in England and elsewhere, including:
- A town in Alabama, USA, and the county seat of Barbour County.
- A town in Liberty Township, Hendricks County, Indiana.
- A city in Missouri, the county seat of St. Louis County.
- A town in New Mexico, USA, and the county seat of Union County.
- A habitational surname from the placename.
- A male given name from the surname.