Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A North Germanic language, the national tongue of Iceland.
- Synonym: Icelandish
- 2007, Douglas Hofstadter, I Am a Strange Loop:
- Although it's hard for us to imagine, they see the pixels in a raw, uninterpreted fashion, and thus to them a TV screen is as drained of long-ago-and-far-away meaning as is, to you or me, a pile of fall leaves, a Jackson Pollock painting, or a newspaper article in Malagasy (my apologies to you if you speak Malagasy; in that case, please replace it by Icelandic — and don't tell me that you speak that language, too!).
Icelandic (plural Icelandics)
Icelander — see Icelander
Icelandic horse — see Icelandic horse
- Of or relating to the North Germanic language spoken in Iceland.
- Of or relating to the natives or inhabitants of Iceland.
- Of, relating to, or originating from Iceland.
- 2011 November 5, Phil Dawkes, “QPR 2 - 3 Man City”, in BBC Sport:
- Despite of the absence of Shaun Derry and Adel Taarabt because of illness and injury respectively, the home side began superbly. Helguson twice threatened early on with shots from the right-hand corner of the box before Anton Ferdinand spurned a great chance at the back post following the Icelandic striker's header back across goal.
of or relating to the Icelandic language
of or relating to the natives or inhabitants of Iceland
of or relating to Iceland
- Wiktionary’s coverage of Icelandic terms
- Appendix:Icelandic Swadesh list for a Swadesh list of basic vocabulary words in Icelandic