Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The Romance language commonly spoken until the middle of the 20th century in parts of southern Belgium and northern France (around Givet).
Walloon (plural Walloons)
- An inhabitant of Wallonia, of Belgian nationality, nowadays generally French-speaking, but also possibly German-speaking.
- 1593±1, Humfrey Barwick, A breefe discourse, concerning the force and effect of all manuall weapons of fire and the disability of the long bowe or archery, in respect of others of greater force now in vse. With sundrye probable reasons for the verrifying therof: the which I haue doone of dutye towards my soueraigne and country, and for the better satisfaction of all such as are doubtfull of the same., London:
- when I was young I did seeke to serue, both in England, Fraunce, and Scotland, to that end I might the better doo my Prince and Countrye seruice, and also to sustaine myselfe, who otherwaies was not able to liue as I did desire to doo: wheras I learned to know the vse of most weapons of warre both for Horsemen and footmen, that are or haue beene vsed in this age, with as good Schoolemaisters as any Italian, Spaniard or Wallon whatsoeuer, hath been or now is.
- An inhabitant of the region of southern Belgium and northern France (around Givet), usually of Belgian nationality.
an inhabitant of Wallonia
Walloon (not comparable)
- Referring to the French-speaking people of southern Belgium and parts of northern France.
- 1627, Herman Hugo, translated by Gerat Barry, The seige of Breda by the armes of Phillip the Fourt vnder the gouernment of Isabella atchiued by the conduct of Ambr. Spinola, Leuven, page 35:
- The valerouse, and prudent Earle of Isimburque uppon the firste aduice of Captaine Barri, touching the quantitie and presumtion of the enemy, drew on vnto the field, and with great expedition brauelie ordered, and deuided his almain, and vallon Infanterie, into two squadrons, in forme of broad front with amostualerous determintion to incounter and giue battel to the enemy if need did require.
- Referring to the Romance language spoken by this people.
referring to the French-speaking people of southern Belgium
referring to the Romance language
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- Wiktionary’s coverage of Walloon terms
- Appendix:Walloon Swadesh list for a Swadesh list of basic vocabulary words in Walloon