Middle English flameng, from late Old English Flæmingi, from Old Norse Flǽmingr, Middle Dutch Vlaminc, Vleminc, from Old Frisian (unattested) (compare West Frisian Flaming), from Proto-Germanic *flaumaz ‘flowing, current (water)’ and the patronymic suffix -ing ‘belonging to, descended from’. More at Flanders.
Fleming (plural Flemings)
- A native or inhabitant of Flanders in Belgium.
- an unincorporated community in Redding Township, Jackson County, Indiana, United States
- An English surname.
- (rare) A male given name transferred from the surname.
- A town in Colorado.
- A city in Missouri.
- A town and hamlet in New York.
- A town in Saskatchewan, Canada.
- Fleming at OneLook Dictionary Search