Jump to navigation Jump to search
ad hominem (plural ad hominems)
- A fallacious objection to an argument or factual claim by appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim; an attempt to argue against an opponent's idea by discrediting the opponent himself.
- A personal attack. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- (a fallacious objection): argumentum ad hominem
- Of or relating to this kind of fallacious objection.
- Well that's an ad hominem argument.
- In an ad hominem manner.
- He tried to make his case by arguing ad hominem.
- (of an argument) ad hominem (being a personal attack)
- in an ad hominem manner