Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Although, despite (it) being.
- He has a very good idea, albeit a strange one.
- 2007 June 17, Ellen Marrus, in the Houston Chronicle:
- There’s an easy, albeit expensive, way to fix the national crisis in forensic crime labs.
2011 September 24, Ben Dirs, “Rugby World Cup 2011: England 67-3 Romania”, in BBC Sport:
- Up front, skipper and open-side Lewis Moody looked almost back to full fitness, while England's set-piece was barely troubled, albeit against a Romania side showing 11 changes from that beaten by Argentina earlier in the week.
- Unlike although, albeit cannot also introduce an independent clause. Either can introduce a noun phrase, adjectival phrase, or adverbial phrase.
- Rarely, albethey is used when the meaning is "despite (the multiple things) being" rather than "despite (the single thing) being"; this is nonstandard.
despite its being; although