Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Subordinate; secondary; auxiliary
- Synonym: accessory
- 1836, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nature, Chapter 3:
- […] how easily he took all things along with him,—the persons, the opinions, and the day, and nature became ancillary to a man.
- 1898, John Wesley Powell, Truth and Error, Chapter 7
- [E]very organ of the body, whatever function it may perform, must also perform the other four functions in an ancillary manner.
- 2019, Li Huang; James Lambert, “Another Arrow for the Quiver: A New Methodology for Multilingual Researchers”, in Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, DOI:10.1080/01434632.2019.1596115, page 4:
- The cafeteria is primarily used by students and staff (academic, administrative, and ancillary).
subordinate, secondary, auxiliary, accessory
ancillary (plural ancillaries)
- Something that serves an ancillary function, such as an easel for a painter.
- (archaic) An auxiliary.
- ancillary in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- ancillary in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
- ancillary at OneLook Dictionary Search