Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈæns.əˌlɛɹ.iː/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ænˈsɪl.ə.ɹi/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪləɹi
- Subordinate; secondary; auxiliary.
- Synonym: accessory
- 2019, Li Huang, James Lambert, “Another Arrow for the Quiver: A New Methodology for Multilingual Researchers”, in Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, →DOI, page 4:
- The cafeteria is primarily used by students and staff (academic, administrative, and ancillary).
subordinate, secondary, auxiliary, accessory
ancillary (plural ancillaries)
- Something that serves an ancillary function, such as an easel for a painter.
- 1950 November, “Mixed-Traffic Diesel-Electric Locomotives for Ireland”, in Railway Magazine, page 781:
- Auxiliaries and ancillaries are comprehensive, and include a Westinghouse motor-driven recriprocating compressor used for locomotive braking and general service air, two rotary exhauster sets for train brakes when hauling passenger or fitted freight trains, and an oil-fired train heating boiler.
- (archaic) An auxiliary.
- “ancillary”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.
- “ancillary”, in The Century Dictionary […], New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911, →OCLC.
- “ancillary”, in OneLook Dictionary Search.