as well as
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA(key): /əz ˈwɛl æz/, /əz ˈwɛl əz/, (colloquial) /əˈzwɛlz/
Audio (Mid-Atlantic) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛləz, -ɛlz
- And, in addition.
- The moon as well as the stars was shining down on them.
- She has to sing as well as play the piano.
- Smoking is unhealthy, as well as making you smell bad.
- 1918, W[illiam] B[abington] Maxwell, chapter XXII, in The Mirror and the Lamp, Indianapolis, Ind.: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, →OCLC:
- Not unnaturally, “Auntie” took this communication in bad part. Thus outraged, she showed herself to be a bold as well as a furious virago. Next day she found her way to their lodgings and tried to recover her ward by the hair of the head.
- Used other than figuratively or idiomatically: see as, well.
- As well as I recollect, he was about six feet tall.
- She sings as well as she plays the piano.
and in addition
too; likewise; in addition
- In addition to; further to.
- As well as the obvious financial benefits, the merger will allow us some breathing room with regards to R&D.
in addition to
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked