Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /əˈʃɔɹ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /əˈʃɔː/
- (rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger)IPA(key): /əˈʃo(ː)ɹ/
- (non-rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) IPA(key): /əˈʃoə/
- Homophone: assure (accents with the pour–poor merger)
- Rhymes: -ɔː(ɹ)
Audio (US) (file)
ashore (not comparable)
- (nautical) On the land as opposed to onboard.
- (nautical) On, or towards the shore.
- The canoe sailed ashore.
- When a ship collides with the shore it is said to have run ashore; when a ship collides with a submerged object, such as a reef or sandbar, it is said to have run aground.
on the land
towards the shore