Jump to navigation Jump to search
- An appointment for a meeting, generally of a romantic or sexual nature.
- 1749, [John Cleland], “(Please specify the letter or volume)”, in Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure [Fanny Hill], London: […] G. Fenton [i.e., Fenton and Ralph Griffiths] […], OCLC 731622352:
- As soon as Mr. Barville saw me, he got up, with a visible air of pleasure and surprize, and saluting me, asked Mrs. Cole if it was possible that so fine and delicate a creature would voluntarily submit to such sufferings and rigours as were the subject of his assignation.
- The act of assigning or allotting; apportionment.
- A making over by transfer of title; assignment.
Modern usage confines the word to mean an agreed-upon place for illicit sex, but earlier usage is broader, and considerably more innocent.
An appointment for a meeting
the act of assigning or allotting
a transfer of title
assignation f (plural assignations)