Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
backplate (plural backplates)
- A plate protecting a fighting person's back.
- (diving) A plate harnessed to a diver's back, to which the gas cylinders are attached.
- A metal plate on the rear of a computer's casing, used to cover a port or slot.
- A wood or metal plate that serves as a backing for an object.
- (Britain, automotive) A rigid metal plate inside the brake drum, which supports the wheel cylinder, brake shoes, and other parts of a drum brake.
- Part of a condenser microphone that sits behind the diaphragm and which acts, in conjunction with the diaphragm, as a sort of variable capacitor.