Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
cylinder (plural cylinders)
- (geometry) A surface created by projecting a closed two-dimensional curve along an axis intersecting the plane of the curve.
- When the two-dimensional curve is a circle, the cylinder is called a circular cylinder. When the axis is perpendicular to the plane of the curve, the cylinder is called a right cylinder. In non-mathematical usage, both right and circular are usually implied.
- (geometry) A solid figure bounded by a cylinder and two parallel planes intersecting the cylinder.
- Any object in the form of a circular cylinder.
- A cylindrical cavity or chamber in a mechanism, such as the counterpart to a piston found in a piston-driven engine.
- A container in the form of a cylinder with rounded ends for storing pressurized gas; a gas cylinder.
- An early form of phonograph recording, made on a wax cylinder.
- The part of a revolver that contains chambers for the cartridges.
- (computing) The corresponding tracks on a vertical arrangement of disks in a disk drive considered as a unit of data capacity.
any cylindrical object
cavity or chamber
part of a revolver which contains chambers for rounds
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Inflection of cylinder
- Cylinder on the Danish Wikipedia.da.Wikipedia
- Cylinder (geometri) on the Danish Wikipedia.da.Wikipedia:Cylinder (geometri)
- Cylinder (fluidmekanik) on the Danish Wikipedia.da.Wikipedia:Cylinder (fluidmekanik)
- Cylinder (motordel) on the Danish Wikipedia.da.Wikipedia:Cylinder (motordel)
Declension of cylinder