- A child or baby, especially a representation in art of the infant Christ wrapped in swaddling clothes.
- 1988, David Quammen, The Flight of the Iguana:
- These [spiders] in my office were newborn babies. A hundred scuttering bambinos, each one no bigger than a poppyseed. Too small still for red hourglasses, too small even for red egg timers.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for bambino in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
Onomatopoeic bambo for the first stammerings of children.
- child, baby, toddler, tot (of unspecified sex)
- (baby) boy, young boy
- (zoology) Breed of short hairless cats
- bambola (“doll”)