Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /bɪˈkʌm.ɪŋ/, /bɪˈkʊm.ɪŋɡ/
- (US) IPA(key): /bɪˈkʌm.ɪŋ/, /bəˈkʌm.ɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ʌmɪŋ
- (chiefly philosophy) The act or process by which something becomes.
- 2007, Una Chung, Contagion of Living:
- By tracing the turns from U.S. to Japan to China, we can see that becoming American, the classic ethnic American narrative, itself opens to further becomings and unbecomings and rebecomings that address mobility and ethnicization […]
The act or process by which something becomes
- pleasingly suitable; fit; congruous; beautiful
- 2022, Lucy Caldwell, These Days, Faber:
- This is our latest, said the salesgirl. Victory Red. Or here I've Carmine, which is very becoming on sallower skin like yours, so it is. If you don't mind me saying.
- decent, respectable