Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpliːzɪŋ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈplizɪŋ/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Rhymes: -iːzɪŋ
- Agreeable; giving pleasure, cheer, enjoyment or gratification.
- 1962 October, Brian Haresnape, “Focus on B.R. passenger stations”, in Modern Railways, pages 250-251:
- Elegant brick and stone buildings, with iron and glass canopies and decorative wooden scalloping and fencing—all evidencing care on the part of the architect to produce a pleasing, well-planned building—were submerged beneath a profusion of ill-conceived additions and camouflaged by vulgar paint schemes; and the original conception was lost.
- pleasure or satisfaction, as in the phrase "to my pleasing."
- What more palpable confutation can there be of human vanity and arrogance, of all lofty imaginations, all presumptuous confidences, all turgid humours, all fond self-pleasings and self-admirings, than is that tragical cross […]