Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(Redirected from boil down to)
See also: boildown
- (transitive and intransitive) Used other than as an idiom: see boil, down.
- He boiled the soup down so it wouldn't be so weak.
- (intransitive) To become reduced (to the most central elements or ingredients: to the essence, core, or implication for action).
- So what this boils down to is that you still owe me that fifty bucks.
- 2013, Daniel Taylor, Andros Townsend calms England's nerves in taming of Montenegro (in The Guardian, 11 October 2013)
- For England, everything now boils down to what happens against Poland on Tuesday.
- (transitive) To reduce (to the most central elements or ingredients: to the essence, core, or implication for action).
- My dissertation is 342 pages long, and I'm required to boil it down to a one-page abstract?!
- Usually followed by to, as in some of the examples above.
- What usually get boiled down are problems, arguments, statements, etc.
- (become reduced): come down to