Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From the New Testament: "Jesus replied, 'Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born again.'" [John 3:3, Today's New International Version]
- (Christianity) Having been born of the spirit of the God of the Bible.
- Being born again speaks of a second birth. The first birth is a water birth and is earthly, carnal of this world. It is the birth which all sons of Adam come into this present world. The second birth is a spirit birth and is heavenly not of this world but born into the kingdom of God. This second birth takes place when the spirit of Christ (holy spirit) comes into us and remains. It is this being born again which God speaks of in the old covenant writings promising a new and lasting covenant when he will write his law on the tablets of our hearts.
- (Christianity) Having a renewed commitment to Jesus Christ as a personal saviour.
- He proclaimed himself a born-again Christian during a church retreat.
- (by extension) Having the zeal of a convert of a non-religious cause or activity.
- After not picking up a shovel for twenty years, she finally saw the beauty in flowers and declared herself a born-again gardener.
- Of or pertaining to evangelical Christianity.
- To many people a born-again philosophy is a fundamentalist philosophy.
renewed commitment to Jesus Christ
born-again (plural born-agains)
- Someone who has been born of the spirit of God. The first birth is a water birth, of this world and carnal. The second birth is a spiritual birth, of the Kingdom of God and is spiritual.
- Someone who has a renewed commitment to Jesus Christ as a personal saviour.
- Anyone with a renewed commitment to any kind of cause or belief.
- An evangelical Christian.